Posting My Wildtree Events, Products, Recipes and Healthy Simple solutions to help you make great meals for your family.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Another Gadget I had to have.

I Love Crème brûlée, I have always wanted a torch to make it look like the pictures I see in cookbooks & on TV cooking shows.
Today I bought the torch, Thanks to my sister Judy, who gave me a gift certificate for Christmas, at my favorite cooking store.  A great kitchen gadget to add to my collection of Needs...
I had to take a picture of my amazing kitchen tool. Doesn't it look great?
Now, If you didn't already know a Crème brûlée is a French dessert that literally means “scorched cream.” The chilled custard dessert has a sugar topping that is caramelized using a culinary torch, which is a mini blowtorch. If you do not have a blowtorch handy to torch crème brûlée, you can place the crème brûlée under a broiler. However, the sugar topping may not caramelize as evenly, and the custard is more likely to heat up.   I am excited to try it out.  It looks pretty simple to use yet I am always a bit  nervous to try new gadgets. but you know that will not stop me,  so I searched my recipes and found this one of Tyler Florence's (so how can I go wrong?) 
Don't they look Yummy?  It takes a lot of eggs... and  luck will have it, I have plenty.  

Creme Brulle Recipe 

•9 egg yolks
•3/4 cup superfine white sugar plus 6 tablespoons
•1 quart heavy cream
•1 vanilla bean

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream together egg yolks and sugar with a whisk until the mixture is pale yellow and thick.

Pour cream into a medium saucepan over low heat. Using a paring knife, split the vanilla bean down the middle, scrape out the seeds and add them to saucepan. Bring cream to a brief simmer, do not boil or it will overflow. Remove from heat and temper the yolks by gradually whisking the hot vanilla cream into yolk and sugar mixture. Do not add hot cream too quickly or the eggs will cook.

Divide custard into 6 (6-ounce) ramekins, about 3/4 full. Place ramekins in a roasting pan and fill pan with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until barely set around the edges, about 40 minutes. You may want to cover loosely with foil to prevent browning. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Transfer the ramekins to the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each chilled custard. Hold a kitchen torch 2 inches above surface to brown the sugar and form a crust. Garnish with cookies and fresh fruit. Serve at once.
Bon Appetite!

3 comments:

  1. I love your new blog. I may even learn a thing or two about cooking. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe makes it look really easy. And Creme Bulle is one of my favorites. I have plenty of eggs to use up. This weekend possibly a treat for me. One thing is I don't have your fancy torch! Oh, I don't have the ramekins either. I guess shopping trip first. What a fun blog this is going to be!!!!

    ReplyDelete