Posting My Wildtree Events, Products, Recipes and Healthy Simple solutions to help you make great meals for your family.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fresh Salsa Ready to Can

This is the beginning of another blogging adventure. I will be posting what's cooking in my kitchen here.

For the record keeping...Today my "girls" laid 5 eggs.


Right now I have made some more salsa and it is ready to pour into the jars and process.  I have adjusted the recipe so its not too spicy hot and delicious with cornchips, or served with eggs.
The recipe gives me 10 pints.
SALSA RECIPE:
6 cups chopped tomatoes
3 cups chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
 1/4 cup celery chopped
 1 T salt ( optional)
 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
 1 T whole oregano
 2 cups diced assorted  mild peppers, green red, yellow orange banana (whatever  you have)
1/tsp black pepper
1-4 jalapeno peppers chopped (I used 2) for medium heat
3 (6 oz) cans tomatoe paste
1 T ground cumin.
1 (15 oz) can black beans drained & rinced
1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits
1 cup fresh, canned or frozen*thawed* whole kernal corn

Mix all together in cooking pot. Bring  to heat throughly no need to cook it, only hot enough to to ready for water bath processing to kill any bacteria and enzymes.

Fill steralized jars to within 1/4 in of the top. seat the lids, and hand tighten the rings.
Boil the jars in  the canner with enough water to cover the jars with at least 1 inch of water.
Keep the water boiling for 15 minutes for 8 oz pint jars & 20 minutes for quarts.
Lift the jars out carefully  cool without touching or bumping them in a draft free place. I leave mine over night.

Once the jars are cool check if they are sealed verfying that the lids have been sucked down . ( just press in the center gently with your finger.
If it pops up & down  (often making a popping sound) it is NOTsealed. If you  put the jar in the refrigerator you can still use right away.

Bon Appetite!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Cheryl!
    I'm excited about your new cooking blog!Going to add you to my list of Recipe sites! :)
    Hugz,
    Cathy ♥♥

    ReplyDelete